Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Painting a Nursery / Reviewing the Process

Green and White stripes for nursery.

Working through household projects with one’s spouse can at times be trying.  In my house on every project my husband and I decide who should be in charge and who the laborer is.  This system has worked for us and was some great advice we received from a friend years ago.  However, that only solves part of the potential problems.  When I was pregnant with my first daughter in 2008 I wanted to make a nice nursery, paint furniture and everything.  I also knew what I wanted, or so I thought.  The outcome was to everyone else really nice, but to me the stripes on the wall weren't the color I was going for.  I wanted a stripes on the walls of varying thicknesses in white but not bright white and light green, really light green.  I also wanted a chair rail added.  The stripes would be above the chair rail and below would be solid white.  Basically, I was going for a clean, simple and airy feeling and not pink.  What I got was something close, the furniture and the details in painting turned out well (very nice vertical stripes that were straight).  The color of the paint was another story.  Now, I’m a graphic designer by trade and I've painted walls before.  I've even painted other people’s houses but for some reason I couldn't get the color right for this room.  So, where did I go wrong?

Greer (2010), has a ten step process he proposes to help ensure successful projects (p. 5):
 Step 1: Define the project concept, then get support and approval.
 Step 2: Get your team together and start the project.
 Step 3: Figure out exactly what the finished work products will be.
 Step 4: Figure out what you need to do to complete the work products. (Identify tasks and phases.)
 Step 5: Estimate time, effort, and resources.
 Step 6: Build a schedule.
 Step 7: Estimate the costs.
 Step 8: Keep the project moving.
 Step 9: Handle scope changes.
 Step 10: Close out phases, close out the project. 

Greer (2010) also has a list of what he calls “The People Stuff: 10 Sets of Challenges to Inspire Project Teams” (p. 5):
1.      Trust Your Judgment
2.      Let Go of Perfectionism
3.      Celebrate the Chaos Within
4.      Embrace the Work Itself
5.      Take the Risk
6.      Just Say No
7.      Listen, Understand, Collaborate
8.      Just Do It!
9.      Consciously Choose Your Attitude
10.  Be the Change You Want to See

The project was partially successful and many people thought I was being overly critical of myself.  However, the colors were not right and after all I love color but these two colors made my eyes vibrate.  I believe that I followed Greer’s ten steps to successful projects pretty well.  It’s “the people stuff” that got in my way.  I had everything going well until I went to the paint store and didn't trust my own judgment for fear I was making a mistake with the colors.  My husband and I walked into Home Depot, I knew what I wanted and had looked at colors for months at Home Depot and other places.  I showed him the swatches and said what do you think?  He said he thought the colors were too similar and there was not enough contrast. Hum, I said I didn't think about that but I wanted to get the paint samples anyway.  When we reached the paint counter to have the paint mixed, I asked the Home Depot employee what he thought about the colors for a nursery.  He felt they were too similar too and that I wouldn’t really notice a difference between the two colors on the wall.  Oh, now I’m thinking two people are saying this, they probably have a good point.  I’m trying to listen to my team now and I don’t want to nursery to look weird.  So, I say okay, and continue the conversation with what colors these two people think would go well.  I end up letting them choose the two colors and because I’m so certain of their choices, I don’t get samples. I get the gallons of paint that the room will need.


That is where I went wrong.  It’s not letting them choose the colors, well entirely anyway. I should have just bought a sample and tried it out.  I could not say no to these people because I wanted everything to be perfect and I didn't trust myself.

We went home and started painting the next day.  I was nervous the entire time we are painting, I was thinking to myself, “oh no, this is not going to look good”.  I even mentioned it to my husband who reminds me paint dries differently and I should give it a chance.  OK, I think, just breathe it will be okay.  Even though I have reservations we don’t stop and let a few stripes dry to see if I like it.  No, we paint the whole room.  Ugh. The next day we walked into the nursery and my husband says, "Ah, it looks nice."  I said, "Uhuh, the paint doesn't make your eyes vibrate?" He smiles and says, "Well, maybe a little. What do you want to do?" I said, "Give me the paint cans and I’ll try to mix the green down to a lighter shade," which was much better.  However, despite it really looking okay, it just wasn't quite right.  At this point in the project we didn't have the money, time or energy to redo the whole room.
 
In short, I needed to trust my own judgment and stick to the plan.  Deviating from the plan led the project away and caused the project to be less successful than I would have liked.

Resources:

Greer, M. (2010). The project management minimalist: Just enough PM to rock your projects! (Laureate custom ed.). Baltimore: Laureate Education, Inc.

5 comments:

  1. I agree you may not your statement that you had everything going well until you went to the paint store and didn't trust your own judgment for fear of making a mistake with the colors. This may also have stemmed from Greer's (2010) step 3 which stated, "Figure out exactly what the finished work products will be." I think you may have known exactly what you were looking for, but again you second guessed yourself.

    I did something very similar on painting project of my own. I was painting our living room in our apartment and I thought the color would dry differently. It was suppose to a beige color and when it went on the wall it was Barney purple.

    Reference:

    Greer, M. (2010). The project management minimalist: Just enough PM to rock your projects! (Laureate custom ed.). Baltimore: Laureate Education, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,
    Steve Jobs once said, "Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something - your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life".

    In your case it would be stripes instead of dots, but you get the idea. Sometimes we have to go with our gut.

    In the end it is a lesson learned. I, too, wrote about a home improvement project.
    Donna S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea,
    The blog you wrote is on point because I've been through the same situation myself. I feel in certain situation we need to use the ADDIE model when we make decisions. This situation is a lesson learned.

    Leslie Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea,

    Always trust your gut! It sounds like you know what you wanted but you let other people sway your opinion. One thing I have learned in the last few classes is following the ADDIE method really works. It doesn’t matter the size or type of the project but following ADDIE gives us a framework for projects and helps guide us so we get our desired results.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember those blessed with a Y chromosome generally to do perceive subtleties as those of us with only X chromosomes! This may also be the case with work related projects in that different team members do not share the same perspectives, and may not understanding the differences

    ReplyDelete