Thursday, April 11, 2013

Disastrous Projects Due To Scope Creep



Managing scope creep is an essential aspect of every project (Stolovitch, n.d.).  Had I understood scope creep prior to engaging in freelance work about 7 years ago my life might be very different.  Learning as you go and trying to make it as a freelance graphic designer was tough business.  I was either not getting paid or taking on jobs with such tight deadlines I was working until 2 in the morning to make the clients deadlines.  I felt as though I could not say no because I was not sure if there was more work coming in.  Therefore, I never said no despite the difficulties it caused in my personal life.  I really wanted to make freelancing work, I loved working from home and having freedom to work where I wanted.  Sometimes at a coffee shop and other times in the living room that flexibility inspired me and I was creative and happy.  However, the finances were a mess.

For this blog I am supposed to describe a project that relates to scope creep and the handling or lack of handling of that scope creep.  When I read the prompt, I immediately thought about the client I worked for that never paid me.  He was not the first client to refuse to pay me even though I had delivered.  What happened on this project is a former coworker was starting a new business with several people and they were in need of a logo.  I created a plan, had the client sign off on the plan including how many logos would be submitted for review and how the revisions would work.  I am not very confident in designing logos and therefore when he came back and said they did not really like any of the logos I felt bad.  I thought it was my fault.   So, I designed more logos and every time the same thing happened. I probably ended up designing about 30 logos for this former coworker.  Every time he would come back and say the partners did not like it.  I asked how many partners and the details of the presentation.  I found out that it was not just the partners but also their wives.  Yikes!   There were around ten people deciding on a logo and none of them could agree.   The project had crept up on me and I knew it was happening and I felt bad that my design skills were not as good as other designers.  Therefore, I did not charge them for all of the work. I just charged them my original quote but they were not happy with any of the logos.  Even after they chose one to make adjustments to they did not like the adjustments I made based on their recommendations.
It was a nightmare and I felt bad because I knew the guy.  However, looking back and analyzing the situation I realize that I should have done several things differently. 
1.       Stuck to the original signed agreement
2.       Not second guess my design ability, after all he liked all of my work at our former company, that is why he chose me
3.       Use documentation of the changes that were being asked of me along with associated costs that would be incurred due to those changes
4.       I should have presented the logos myself
5.       Let the client go after realizing I could not make them happy (which was after the first 5 logos)

Looking back I also realize that I had designed a lot of nice logos.  They were amazing and they weren’t going to win any awards but they were solid, reproducible in many formats and represented the company’s vision and mission.  Hindsight is always twenty-twenty which is why I should have reflected on the situation back then and I may have come to a different conclusion and stayed working as a freelancer. 

In talking to my husband right before posting this he reminded me of about three or four other clients who did the same thing.  They had me design some proofs and end up walking away and some never paid.  I quit calling to follow up after because it was apparent from the ignored emails and phone messages that they were taking my ideas and never planning to pay for them.  I ran across this website: http://www.graphicdesignblender.com/freelancing-advice-from-successful-designers in which several respected design professionals give advice to other designers interested in freelancing.   Many of them said that designers who are interested need to ensure they do not short change themselves and charge customers appropriate rates (Foster, 2011).  Several others mentioned knowing how to market yourself, write contracts, and network in order to find businesses that will choose your work and respect you as a designer and a professional (Foster, 2011). 

I wish I had thought to seek out a design community on the internet and network more often.  I did network and do some marketing of myself but most of the work I did was through word of mouth.  I met many nice people and was able to work on a wide range of projects which was exciting.  At the same time though I did not seek out specific design communities to connect with; however blogging, twitter, facebook, craigslist and the rest of the social media cites make it easier to connect to other designers and that is powerful.  Maybe I will try freelancing again in the future except this time I will be an instructional designer.

Resources:
Foster, N. (2011, August 19). [Web log message]. Retrieved from http://www.graphicdesignblender.com/freelancing-advice-from-successful-designers

Stolovitch, H. (n.d.). Project management concerns: Scope creep. [video]. Lecture presented for Laureate Education, Inc. Retrieved March 9, 2013 from https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab_tab_group_id=_2_1&url=%2Fwebapps%2Fblackboard%2Fexecute%2Flauncher%3Ftype%3DCourse%26id%3D_2652514_1%26url%3D

2 comments:

  1. Andrea,

    You most certainly have learned some true lessons in owning your own business. It is hard work and you can’t please everyone all of the time. I can completely understand your plight, as I too, have worked for former friends and coworkers that has proven to be much more difficult than working for strangers.

    There are some amazing benefits from working from home. I love that I can throw in a load of laundry in the midst of creating technology training or working on curriculum assessment, but there are down sides too. The buck stops with me. In trying to do the best I can and to keep everyone happy I have on occasion turned my home life upside down. When reading the Under 30 CEO I found this statement to be important to both your story and mine: If you truly believe you are offering an honest price for your service or product then stand by it! If you believe in yourself and your work then other people will too (Toole & Wilson, 2011). Especially when I first started out I felt I had to discount my prices because I was new, because I was working for a former colleague and so on. Now I charge the appropriate rate and for the most part stay busy enough to live comfortably, though there are quiet times that scare me.

    My newest issue is a rather large school district which had contracted me for three training sessions, oh which I delivered is 60 days overdue. I have sent two emails and am not sure what else to do. I do not want to push too hard because we were in negotions for future training dates, but I need that money just like anyone else would.
    It truly is a balancing act.

    Donna


    Toole, J., & Wilson, M. (2011, June 28). 5 struggles & lessons learned while starting a business. Retrieved fromhttp://under30ceo.com/5-struggles-lessons-learned-while-starting-a-business/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. FIA jobs

    ReplyDelete