Sunday, December 18, 2011

Fitting the Learning Theory Puzzle Pieces Together


I have a deeper understanding of the multitude of learning theories and multiple intelligences, I now clearly understand why I learn more when I participate in the learning and I why I enjoy hands on learning and visuals more (Gilbert, 2008, Foley [Fenwick & Tennant], 2004).  As I have aged I have grown as a learner as well and have changed how I enjoy learning.  In elementary and high school I liked to learn by myself because the group work generally meant that I was doing a lot of the work as I cared more about my grade.  As I have grown I have come to learn from my colleagues in-group situations and found out that perfectionism is not necessarily always the best way to do things and that it is necessary to delegate and ask others for help and then depend on them to do the work. As an adult, I believe it is easier to delegate tasks and expect co-workers to complete the work. Before learning all these different styles I knew I enjoyed learning with technology, but never linked that to an actual learning theory like Connectivism.  Now I more readily understand why Connectivism is a great way for me to learn.

Technology is at the center of my adult learning and thus Connectivism is the theory that best suits me (Davis, Edmunds & Kelly-Bateman, 2008).  I use technology at work to learn and refresh myself on design aspects and terminology while at the same time I use technology to better understand how my children are growing and what they might need to further their development.  I use Adobe  InDesign, Photoshop and illustrator on a daily basis to design marketing materials for an array of customers.  I use Google often to search for blogs and tutorials to help with my personal and professional life.  While at the same time I utilize Facebook and LinkedIn to keep connected with former colleagues and find out what they are doing both professionally and personally and at times I utilize that connection to better understand my own profession. 

References: 
Davis, C. Edmunds, E, & Kelly-Bateman, V. (2008). Connectivisim. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved November 30, 2011, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

Foley, G. (Ed.). (2004). Dimensions of adult learning: Adult education and training in a global era. McGraw-Hill Education. Chapter 4, “Understanding Adult Learners” by Tara Fenwick and Mark Tennant. Retrieved November 30, 2011 from Walden Library.
Gilbert, J., & Swanier, C. (2008). Learning styles: How do they fluctuate? Institute for Learning Styles Journal [Vol. l]. Retrieved December 4, 2011  from http://www.auburn.edu/~witteje/ilsrj/Journal%20Volumes/Fall%202008%20Volume%201%20PDFs/Learning%20Styles%20How%20do%20They%20Fluctuate.pdf
Image Citation:
Author unknown. Steel Puzzle Sphere 1. Retreived December 18, 2011 from http://alxa.ru/2008/11/20/steel_puzzle_sphere_1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment